A Walking Tour Through History
Four Corners has been an important part of Tiverton for 300 years. The town of Tiverton, originally part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, has an interesting history - as it has been a witness to Native American life, European settlement, multiple wars, the transfer to Rhode Island, and the remarkable transition from British to American rule.
1620 | Pilgrims arrive in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The town of Tiverton is still occupied by the Pocasset tribe of the Wampanoags. The tribe was governed by the squaw sachem, Weetamoo.
1629 | Governor Bradford of the Plymouth Colony purchased the area called Pocasset from its original inhabitants, making the town of Tiverton part of Massachusetts.
1680 | King Philip's War erupts between the colonists and the Native Americans. Weetamoojoins with King Philip in fighting the colonists. Shortly after the war, Plymouth Governor Winslow sells the lands to Edward Gray and seven other English men for the sum of £1,200 lbs. This was known as the "Pocasset Purchase". The southern portion of the town became known by its native name "Punkateest".
1683 | A 4-rod highway is laid out north of Four Corners, following the original trail along the course of the west Main Road. The proprietors of Puncateest laid out lots extending from the Sakonnet River east to Acoaxet.
1694 | Tiverton was incorporated as a township under British rule.
1710 | The Four Corners area is measured and bounded by an 80 acre mill lot, including the mill owned by Joseph Taber. The mill and village were called "Nomscot" for the pond now called "Nonquit". Thirty building lots were measured and the nucleus of the village of Tiverton Four Corners was formed.
1746 | By British Royal Decree the town of Tiverton, along with Little Compton, Bristol, Warren, and Cumberland, is brought within the jurisdiction of Rhode Island.
1775-1777 | During the American Revolution the British held Aquidneck Island and Tiverton became an asylum for Americans fleeing the British oppression. The famous French General, Marquis de Lafayette, briefly used a house just north of Four Corners as his headquarters.
Beginning the Tour
The North End of the Historic Distric
Amicable Congregational Church (c. 1845) 
3736 Main Road
This is the second Congregational church building on this lot. The church is a small but monumental Greek Revival building with a square, one stage belfry and three stained glass windows. It has a large polygonal bay in front flanked by double-door entries.
The Amicable Congregational Society was organized in 1746 and a church building was erected on Lake Road in 1747. In 1805 this half acre lot at Four Corners was given to the society to use as a meeting house site. Around 1808 the new church edifice was built here. Services alternated between the two buildings until 1844, when the original church was closed. In 1845 the meeting house was destroyed by fire, but was immediately rebuilt according to plans submitted by Pardon Seabury.
Hillside Cemetery [1a]
Address to Come...
3785 Main Road
Private Residence (c. 1950)
Information Coming Soon